Catastrophic Injury Law Firm Medford, Oregon
No matter what brought you to a hospital or outpatient clinic, you likely expected to leave in better health than when you arrived. Unfortunately, poor medical care can make problems far worse rather than better. In some cases, physician mistakes and negligence can lead to catastrophic injuries during relatively routine medical procedures.
If you’ve suffered a serious injury (or a loved one has died) because of medical malpractice, you’re not alone. Tens of thousands of med mal lawsuits are filed each year in the United States, with many more injuries and deaths that go unlitigated. Even if you are unsure of whether the harm you have suffered was caused by medical malpractice, consider speaking with a catastrophic injury lawyer Medford, OR residents trust. Exploring your legal options with the experienced team at the Medford, Oregon catastrophic injury law firm of Andersen Morse & Linthorst doesn’t obligate you to file legal action. We simply want to ensure that your questions are answered and that you understand all of your legal options so that you can make an informed decision about your situation moving forward.
Types of Malpractice Leading to Catastrophic And Fatal Injuries
There are many ways to suffer harm in a medical setting. Here are some of the most common:
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis – leading to delayed treatment or incorrect treatment
- Failure to diagnose or failure to treat
- Birth Injuries – including cerebral palsy, brain damage caused by lack of oxygen, bone and spinal cord injuries, etc.
- Surgical errors – operating on the wrong body part, leaving surgical instruments inside the body, etc.
- Medication errors – giving the wrong medication, the wrong dose, or prescribing drugs known to interact dangerously with one another
- Anesthesia errors
- Failure to monitor patients after surgery or during other critical periods
- Emergency room errors
The Three Elements Needed to Bring a Malpractice Claim
Not every bad outcome in a medical setting could be considered malpractice. There are times when medical professionals do everything right and the results are nonetheless negative or devastating. There are three elements you must demonstrate in order to successfully bring a medical malpractice lawsuit. Our Medford, OR catastrophic injury law firm can explain how these elements may impact your unique situation:
- There was a doctor-patient relationship: The doctor directly treated you and it was understood by both parties that this doctor viewed you as his or her patient (and vice versa). Insofar as there was a doctor-patient relationship, that physician owed you a duty of care.
- Medical negligence occurred: The doctor breached the duty of care owed to you by making a serious mistake or exercising bad judgment. Typically, you need to show that most other doctors faced with the same information would have acted differently.
- Medical negligence resulted in patient injuries or death: After showing that the physician was medically negligent, you need to show that the medical negligence directly led to harm, injury or death.
The Important Work of an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney
If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury (or a loved one has been killed) in a medical setting, it seems like filing and settling a medical malpractice claim should be obvious and easy. Unfortunately, that’s almost never how it works. Med Mal cases require extensive preparation and research about complex medical topics.
Lawyers who do this work must have the knowledge, skills and resources to conduct such research and preparation. They must also have connections to expert witnesses, often medical professionals who can testify about what reasonable doctors would have done differently. When you hire our firm, this is exactly what you can expect from us.
Not every bad outcome is grounds for a medical malpractice claim; sharing your story with our Medford, OR catastrophic injury law firm is a great way to learn if you might have an actionable claim. To better understand your legal options after a catastrophic injury, contact our caring and attentive attorneys to schedule an initial consultation.
Client Review"These lawyers are compassionate, thorough, and great advocates for people who have been injured"
Let Us Help You
If you have been injured and you are not sure what steps to take next, call us. We can help.