Police Misconduct Lawyer Medford OR
Our police misconduct lawyer, Medford OR residents trust, have watched, along with the rest of the country, as racial tensions rise. Fueled by the recent deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Stephon Clark, Botham Jean, and countless others, protesters have taken to the streets protesting for change. The Black Lives Matter Movement has sparked controversy amongst the nation, as people fight to dismantle systemic racism to equal the playfield for people of color. It’s nearly impossible to discuss police misconduct without first drawing attention to the civil unrest across the nation.
If you believe you have been the victim of police misconduct, Andersen & Linthorst is prepared to help you protect your rights and understand the appropriate action steps to take. Our experienced attorneys will start by reviewing your case and representing you to the fullest extent of the law.
Understanding Police Misconduct
Law enforcement plays a critical role in upholding the law and ensuring public safety. This is a highly powerful position, and unfortunately, some members of law enforcement might abuse that power. Police misconduct is when law enforcement fails to uphold a person’s constitutional rights or engages in illegal activity while performing their professional responsibilities. Examples of police misconduct include:
- Excessive Force
- Police Brutality
- Unlawful Search and Seizures
- Racial Profiling
- Violation of Constitutional Rights
- Mishandling Evidence
Much of the time, there is not much that victims can do to fight police misconduct when it is occurring. The best thing you can do is remain calm and refrain from arguing or fighting law enforcement. You may be able to take action for the misconduct, which is why you want to contact our police brutality lawyer in Medford OR as soon as possible.
Steps to Take
Police officers have a duty to protect and serve. Fighting police misconduct may feel like an uphill battle, one that can be daunting. Which is why many never report the misconduct. However, it’s crucial when taking action by keeping the following in mind:
- Keep a Record of the Incident: Your account will play a critical role in your case. You must write down every detail of your matter while it is still fresh in your mind. Try to be as exact and precise as possible by sticking to facts and including direct quotations if you are able.
- Seek Medical Care: If you were injured, medical attention is essential to ensure that you receive treatment for your injuries. Keep all medical documentation as this will play a critical role in proving your case.
- Contact an Attorney: Navigating such a process can be complicated, and an attorney can help you. Whether you were arrested and are facing charges or not, you may still be able to take civil action in the form of a claim against the responsible parties.
- File a Report: Misconduct should be reported, and an attorney can help you navigate this component. Your lawyer will likely recommend that you wait to file a police misconduct report until after your case has been resolved. The last thing you want is to share too much information and damage your case.
Andersen & Linthorst Attorneys at Law wants to help hold law enforcement accountable for their actions. Not only do you deserve to seek civil action for your losses, but it will also be necessary to the community that future abuse is stopped. If you have been injured, or believe your rights were violated, our Medford, Oregon police misconduct lawyer is prepared to help you take action.
Client Review"It was an absolute pleasure working with this team. They eased my anxiety every step of the way. They were all very professional, kind, understanding and knowledgeable. I would recommend them to anyone seeking help. Thank you all so much!"
Let Us Help You
If you have been injured and you are not sure what steps to take next, call us. We can help.